Monday 20 June 2016

 

Afghanistan: A crossroads for US-Arab relations
Crusade is a nicely loaded term but very unusual to see it applied to a war against the Soviet Union who had invaded and were occupying a Muslim nation. 
      I can see why animosity towards the US grew as US policy became more inconsistent and erratic, abandoning many of its old allies, but, given the way Russia treats its own Muslim minorities, I am surprised that animosity shifted away from them.
      I can also see that some Muslim-nation leaders were (are) despised, but again find it difficult to associate US support of Muslim-nation leaders with the term "crusade."   
      I think the author is far too loose with this term - apparently apparently liking it's iconic emotional value but warping it to mean "any outside support for a side I don't agree with."

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]